What is this module about?
The module starts with an important consideration: students with migrant backgrounds not only need to master the second language to communicate in everyday life, but they also need to speak the language to access the disciplinary content.
For this reason, the first paragraph was dedicated to defining the specificity of L2 of the study and its differentiation from L2 for communication. The module then proceeds by reviewing the main difficulties encountered by students in the school environment which are not only linguistic but relate to a lack of command of the language at a deeper level. These situations are often difficult to identify and remaining submerged and are often classified as generic disengagement. The transition from basic competence to the more complex and elaborate one is not so immediate and natural and cannot be delegated to language teachers alone but must be shared with teachers of all disciplines. This step requires a series of possible didactic actions. In fact, the following paragraph analyses some techniques to facilitate the access of students with a migratory background to the disciplinary contents.
Since these techniques are the subject of debate, in paragraph some critical issues in the use of these strategies are examined. It then concludes by imagining conciliatory and practicable proposals bearing in mind that the objective of disseminating a culture of attention to the difficulties related to the language of study in schools and among teachers must somehow translate into an organizational didactic, aimed at creating the spaces and tools to concretely intervene on the difficulties widely described.
What is the aim of this module
- Define the specificity of L2 for study.
- Identify and alayse a repertoire of the main difficulties and their link with school failure and school dropout of students with a migrant background.
- Know and analyse the main teaching strategies currently in use in schools.
- Stimulate the creation of new tools for the analysis of students’ school needs and experiences.
- Stimulate the creation of new models for more motivating school pathways.
- Cummins’Iceberg Therory https://www.clilmedia.com/how-bics-and-calp-cummins-influence-your-role-as-a-clil-teacher/
- CUMMINS J., The Influence of Bilingualism on Cognitive Growth : A Synthesis of Research Findings and Explanatory Hypothesis, in « Working Papers on Bilingualism », 1976 : 9
- CUMMINS J., Cognitive/ Academic Language Proficiency, Linguistic Inerdepedence, the Optimum Age Question and Some Other Matters, in « Working Papers on Bilingualism », 1979 : 19.
- ELLIS R., Understanding Second Language Acquisition, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1985.
- Maria Frigo, Lingua della socializzazione e lingua dello studio - Approcci didattici, percorsi per gli studenti, materiali e risorse, Atti del corso di formazione L’italiano L2 per le discipline, Bologna 2006/07 https://www.iprase.tn.it/lingua-2-per-lo-studio-e-il-successo-scolastico https://www.iprase.tn.it/alfabetizzazione-in-lingua-2
- Facilitare e semplificare libri di testo. Adattare contenuti disciplinari per l'inclusione, Carlo Scataglini, Erikson,2017
- Chi insegna che cosa a chi? I modelli didattici e il mestiere dell’insegnante, Guido Armellini in 1 In Fabio Camponovo, Alessandra Moretti, Didattica ed educazione linguistica, Quaderni del Giscel, La Nuova Italia, Firenze, 2000: 77-95.
- Le sfide di Babele, insegnare le lingue nelle società complesse, Uter Università Glottodidattica, 2015
- Immersion by Richard Levien - Ninth Annual Media that Matters Film Festival –Immigration Award : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Y0HAjLKYI&t=13s
- Project ENSEMBLE Empower Migrants and local economies – Country Fiches: https://www.projectensemble.eu/country_fiches.php?lang=EN
- BYRAM M., Teaching and Assessing Intercultural Communicative Competence, Multilingual Matters, Clevedon, 1997.
- CALLA (Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach, cfr. O’ Malley e Chamot, 1990: https://rmqasim.wordpress.com/literature-review-2/2-2-3-cognitive-academic-language-learning-approach-calla-model/
- How to Overcome Cultural Barriers : https://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Cultural-Barriers
- Teaching resources on Wordwall: https://wordwall.net/it/resource/18703808/matching https://wordwall.net/resource/2888174/vocabulary/things-in-a-classroom
- SKUTNABB-KANGAS T. e TOUKOMAA P., Teaching Migrant Children’s Mother Tongue and Learning the Language of the Host Country in the Context of the Socio-cultural Situation of the Migrant Family, Helsinki, Finnish National Commission for UNESCO, 1976.